Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Gibberish
Today I had the opportunity to have an original composition performed. My first work to be performed near-publicly! It was for a demonstration of indigenous Filipino musical instruments and traditions for one of the Buwan ng Wika events they have in school, as a mini-project for my Philippine Music class. Nothing significant, really, and the actual performance went horribly, but the clueless audience of sophomores obligated to watch for one or two of their own classes didn't seem to care anyway.
My teacher, who knows a bit of my musical background, asked me to write a small choral piece reflecting the musical styles of the southern parts of the Philippines. So I ripped off some Maranao phrases (which may or may not make sense) from the internet and set it to music. The truth is I still don't know how faithful I was to the musical traditions of Mindanao, but I had a lot of fun writing it. If only school assignments were always like this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


OO NA OO NA MAGALING KA NA OK?
ReplyDeleteSupot ka.
ReplyDeleteshit. ngayon ko lang to nabasa. O_O di ako supot
ReplyDelete