To present a research paper at an academic conference.
LOL, it sounds so impressive when I say it like that!
A few months ago our thesis adviser, Sir Jon, brought up the possibility of submitting our thesis to an upcoming Communications conference in Singapore. Not being well versed in these things, I initially didn't think much of it. But not I or my two thesis-mates could decline the opportunity, if only for the lulz, especially as Sir Jon had offered to do the dirty work of cutting down 100+ pages of academic rambling to the 25-page limit, as well as submitting our entry himself.
And then this morning I woke up to the news that our paper was accepted. If all goes well, we will all be flying to Singapore this June to attend the conference and present our work.
The truth is I'm a little overwhelmed and intimidated as much as I'm ecstatic about this turn of events. I thought our thesis was great, and that its heart was in the right place, but I also thought a lot more could have been done. We're talking international here. Thousands of scholars and students from around the world will be there, as well as the big names in communication and media studies. I get scared enough just speaking in front of my teachers and classmates in Ateneo, let alone an international audience of media scholars in front of which I'll stumble and stammer and make an utter fool of---
Oh fuck it, I'M GOING TO SINGAPORE! Forget A's and the Dean's List; this beats anything else I've ever done in school. I am quite happy right now, thank you very much.
Monday, January 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd though through our years of friendship (HEHH), I've come to think of you as someone who wouldn't, take loads of pictures and post them!!! Stuff like this is crazy exciting! =D