Wednesday, June 11, 2008

babble time: aaaa school

Before I totally make way for a whole new generation of posts mostly about school and whatnot, let me at least acknowledge that this summer was the strangest thing. You could say it was pretty eventful, having had both ups and downs, one thing after another, an emotional roller coaster ride and cheesy things like that. To quote a musical, "It was the summer you'll always remember."

Which conveniently brings us -- thanks to my clever transitional device that allows me to shamelessly plug alongside relating personal thoughts -- to Blue Repertory's upcoming production, Summer of '42, a coming-of-age story set in, well, the summer of 1942 (there's a movie!). I absolutely love the music, which is thoughtful and dreamy, and the cast and crew have been hard at work on it. Once again, I am honored to make the world turn from my humble seat at the piano.

And now that that's out of the way...

I don't know why the first couple days of school are always so tiring. I've attended only three classes so far, none of which lasted an hour. I guess it's the trouble of having to reacquaint oneself with the academic surroundings after two whole months? Whatever. In any case, it feels like a decent year ahead. In fact, it better be, after the realization that is my last worry-free undergrad year, before I start worrying about OJT and thesis and God knows what after college.

At least I've been making the effort to actually try and make plans for my own future, so I'll more or less have some idea of what to do once I get there. But that's for another time to talk about. Right now I just want to ramble about school-related things.

I'll be taking my first Philosophy subject this semester -- something I've looked forward to since freshman year, especially as 24 required units of philosophy/theology is one of the things Ateneo prides itself on. My first required reading, a brief essay on insight by the oft-mentioned Fr. Ferriols, was immediately mind-boggling (I'll read it again later). I doubt I'll do spectacularly well in this subject, but it should be a good chance to learn a few things.

On the other hand, I've been dreading Economics and today's first meeting didn't help. For starters, I'm stuck alone in a class full of noisy Management majors -- rarely a good thing, especially when the professor takes note of that fact.

Sir: So you're all business majors? I suppose all of you have taken Accounting. *proceeds to babble about accounting-related things*

Me: HEY WAIT A MINUTE

If it's any consolation, the classroom is air-conditioned.

Of course, there's also Comm Research, which should immediately restore me to sanity (somewhat) every after Ec 102. Not that this one's going to be any easier, but sharing the suffering with the other Comm people should make me feel better. I muchly love my Comm batchmates that way.

Anyhoo, I've done nothing epic here today but babble about the classes I've attended so far. I suppose it's a fun way to relax, as I haven't been writing a lot lately. I'm expecting to have more to say after I have my first film class (with Quark Henares!) tomorrow. But now I have to go back to that Philo reading. Stupid thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment