Monday, December 7, 2009

Technically, I went to Church today.

This Sunday night I had the marvelous opportunity to perform with Blue Symphony at a concert featuring Ateneo music groups. It was part of the Ateneo Sesquicentennial countdown. More importantly, though, I had the opportunity to perform on a beautiful, beautiful Bösendorfer concert grand piano, which made me happy as a giddy five-year-old to see in the Church of the Gesu, where the concert was. I could only wonder... where the hell did Ateneo get that thing and where do they keep it??

Anyway, we played a 10-minute Christmas medley. It was a bit of a letdown that that was all we had to play. But the audience seemed to love it, and the fact that an official instrumental ensemble is finally being established and gaining recognition in the school; I still hesitate to call it an "orchestra," for instrumentation reasons, but it'll get there.

I'm also quite happy to have, despite being a new-ish member, gotten some attention for the group. Fr. Que, one of my favorite teachers and a school official, approached me with an offer to perform for the inauguration of the new library.

After our performance I stayed to watch the rest of the concert. Some of the other performers were the Ateneo College Glee Club and the Ateneo Chamber Singers. My favorite was the big finale, in which some Jesuits joined the singing, including Fr. Que (who as it turns out sings really well) and none other than Fr. Nebres, our school president. It was quite a treat. I noticed that Fr. Dacanay, who sat on the row in front of me, seemed to be so happy about it.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesuits singing! Kyots kyots. I wonder why Fr. Dacanay didn't join in. :)) And I'm kinda glad to hear Ateneo isn't too cheap to have nice artsy stuff. If only they'd bust it out more often. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sesqui kasi eh. Kyots kyots kumanta si Fr. Ben Nebres! Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete